Re: Getting started.

Mainly, you want to be sure it's supported by Speakup. That's were you
get your lowest level of access. With that in hand, you can play around
with software speech without jeopardizing your "get out of trouble"
card, as it were.

The Doubletalk, both the internal ISA card and the serial external, are
very well supported by Speakup. My druthers are the internal, but
finding a machine with an ISA slot is next to impossible these days,
unless you find one in the closet or at a computer show/shop with old
parts. So, the external is more handy.

Speakup also supports DEC Talk Express well--but that's an expensive and
fussy box, hard to get fixed. The Accent SA and PC also work well with
Speakup. So does the Audaptor, but it's not easy to find either.

I would avoid the Apollo, as it's performance with Speakup is a tad
flaky, unless you have the right model--newer being better.

Best to ask this question on the Speakup list, imho.