Re: Getting started.

Hi, Tink:

Welcome to the Blinux list.

I strongly, strongly, strongly recommend you get a hardware speech
synthesizer. You're not going to be satisfied with software speech in
the Linux console, imho. A read through the last few weeks of this list
may illustrate this point.

I would make this a priority. I have seen external Doubletalk synths for
as low as $150 U.S. They list at just below $300 U.S. For that price and
the heavy performance boost you'll get out of it, you'll be very happy
you picked one up once the pain of paying for it has been forgotten.

Léonie Watson writes:
> From: Léonie Watson <lw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Hi,
>
>     I hope I have the correct list for a posting such as this. If not,
> please would someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.
>
>     I'm exploring the options for installing Linux, for the first time as a
> VI user. Online research has thrown up several implementations of Linux,
> including Debian, Knoppex, RedHat and Suse. I've also come across DTE's such
> as Gnome and KDE, along with screen readers such as Gnopernicus and Speakup.
>
>     I'm now hoping for any advice as to which is the most VI friendly
> implementation and what combination of hardware and software is best. At
> present, I don't have access to a hardware synth, so as I understand it,
> access to Speakup isn't possible, but beyond that my options are open.
>
>     I realise this topic must come up fairly often, so if there is a good
> resource other than the Speakup and Blinux FAQs which are recommended, I'd
> be most interested. Please reply off list if you feel that a public reply
> would unnescessarily clutter the list.
>
>     Otherwise, I look forward to hearing your suggestions and making the
> most of the obvious wisdom I've noticed whilst lurking on the list. Smile.
>

> Thanks,
> Tink
> --
> Léonie Watson  |  t. +44 (0) 117 344 5012
>
> Visit our web site today:
> http://www.nomensa.com/

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development