Re: Please help with small test

Janina said:

> I don't know about the i18n font having anything to do with it--but I've
> only ever used iso and utf8.

I'm not sure what that means. Unless I'm missing something, ISO in this
context refers to definitions of code pages (which letter is represented
by which hex value) and utf8 has to do with mappings between multi-byte
and single-byte characters. Font has to do with how characters are
actually painted on the screen.

> I have, however, had several settings in
> lilo.conf over the years. Currently, I have a line that says:
>
> vga=832

A setting like this is, as I understand it, dependent on your specific
hardware. When I did a vga=ask and entered scan at the prompt, 50x132
was about the biggest screen choice I was given. I chose the 12932 value
because it's relatively portable, though not completely so, since it's
based on actual row-by-column numbers instead of the intricacies of a
particular video card.

It's risky to take hardware-dependent numbers from someone else and put
them on a different machine. Oralux/Knoppix has a value of vga=791 which
worked on my machine using Oralux (Debian). I plugged this into Red Hat
9. I was trying to figure out the results when I happened to turn on the
monitor and, using my hearing aids, found that the pitch of the magnetic
field was the highest I've ever heard. I grabbed the Optacon to see how
much I had fried but fortunately the screen had apparently muted on its
own because it was blank as far as I could tell. But it sure did scare
the tar out of me.

Lee