Please help with small test

Hi everyone,

I wonder if you can test something for me, regardless of your distro(s):

There's a file called /usr/src/linux-2.4/Documentation/svga.txt. Though
it's not as clear as I might wish, it seems to say that one can add the
following parameter to the boot loader commands:

vga=extended

This should give you a screen length of 50 lines if you're on a VGA and
43 if on EGA. I've used this parameter (and other variants described in
that file) on Oralux and it works fine, but on Red Hat I can't get it to
work. However, I've done other customizations on Red Hat like using the
Dvorak keyboard and increasing the number of consoles, so some of my
changes might be what's causing the problem. I can't find such a change,
but I was wondering if you could try this and see if it works for you.

If you're using LILO, it goes in the append= string in /etc/lilo.conf. I
stuck mine at the very beginning (append="vga=extended ...") but I still
end up with 25 lines.

If I do this from a boot floppy, the dmesg messages show that the
console starts out at 50 lines, but before the login prompt it gets
changed back to 25. Watching the lines scroll by once with the Optacon I
thought I could feel when the characters got bigger. When I do it from
the hard disk, even the messages say 25 lines.

I tried it with a boot floppy using Grub and got apparently the same
results so didn't bother with the hard disk. I've mucked around in
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit, removing everything I thought had to do with

Any test results would be greatly appreciated. Other Debian (since
Oralux is based on Debian) users or other distros would also be very
interesting. Thanks a bunch.

Lee