Speakup default preference settings

Hi all,

I have found all the /proc/speakup/* files to put settings in, but
they do not hold as defaults when I next boot.  Putting echo
statements in a script don't seem to restore them either.

Could someone offer a clue how to either - get them set to my
preference and stay that way when next reboot, or to put something in
my .profile or something to restore them when I login.  I prefer the
former so that settings are common whether on as me or root.

Tia,  GA!

.....     or someone very like me!