Re: RedHat9 and speach

Thanks for the info on the state of speech.  I needed reassurance that I
wasn't missing something, as I've been chasing buzz words and vapor-ware.
 She has Jaws 4.5, and win98SE, and uses computer happily. At 73 years old,
She bought herself a pacmate. It gets hard to learn to many operations.
I'll stick with LInux for me, and go to dual boot. We have separate computers,
and use one as the backup for the other.
Will

On Wednesday 23 July 2003 10:37 am, Darrell Shandrow wrote:
> Hi Will,
>
> First, keep in mind that she will have speech only in text consoles, not in
> any of the GUIs such as Gnome or KDE.  That accessibility is coming in the
> form of a project called Gnupernicus, but it is still quite a ways from
> being prime-time.
>
> If she is really computer literate and comfortable with text-based command
> line interfaces, then check out the Speakup screen reader at
> http://www.linux-speakup.org.  Otherwise, consider setting her up with
> Windows, either on a separate computer or as a second partition on a
> dual-boot system.
end