re: discussion:Fw: [The vOICe] Linux? Yes, probably

This is from peter.

Hi Janina,

> It sounds like this would be fairly straight forward to use. But, I'm
> unclear about the license and the source. I wouldn't want to trust a
> binary with all the changes to compilers over the past year. So, is the
> source available? And under what license?

Source code is not available, but the Java version
of The vOICe is not a binary executable. Instead it
runs with a Java VM (virtual machine). The very same
Java applet and application therefore runs on any
platform for which a Java virtual machine is available.
In practice this means that exactly the same Java byte
code runs on Windows and Linux platforms.

The trick with the use of a third-party application
for grabbing and saving image files from a camera
has been applied years ago, but then only for the
Windows platform by using the ISpy camera software.
The same trick ought to work with Linux if one can
find Linux software for grabbing and saving image
files from a camera.

The license conditions for The vOICe Java applet
and Java application are described at the URL

   http://www.seeingwithsound.com/license.htm

This basically boils down to non-commercial use and
giving proper credit.

Be aware that all this is separate from what is
called "The vOICe Learning Edition", which only
runs under Microsoft Windows.

Best wishes,

Peter Meijer

Seeing with Sound - The vOICe