Re: accessing my linux box when recompiling my kernel

On Monday 16 June 2003 19:06, Mike Keithley wrote:
> As far as I know, you need root-access to compile a kernel.  Telnet
> normally doesn't allow root-access wich suggests you can't use
> telnet.  I know everyone else is saying it can be done but I just
> tried telnetting via loopback and the root account isn't accessible.
>
> Maybe you can set-up up an account and su to root that way.

If you need to connect to a box, I strongly advise you to not use use
telnet, but ssh. If not, the password would be transmitted unencrypted
over the wire, and people can grab it with tcpdump or some other
network sniffer.

A free win32 client exist, it is called putty.

--

Mickaël Scherer