accessing my linux box when recompiling my kernel

hello!
I plan to try with a kernel recompilation on my linux box.
I'm curently thinking on how i shall access it.
my plan is to connect my network cable to it, and then use telnet on my
windows computer to access my linux computer.
how does it works with ip addresses in linux?
how shall i configure them?
is it possible to do this thing or is there a better eccess solution?

thanks in advance

kristoffer