Re: postfix MTA not listed as system service RH9

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003, Lorenzo Prince wrote:

> ...I can't seem to figure out how to properly
> remove an RPM.  LOL.  I thought it was rpm -e,

Correct.

> but that always tells me that the package isn't
> installed even when it is.

Many packages are separated into client server
sections, so that you might have, for instance:

openssh-3.5p1-6
openssh-server-3.5p1-6
openssh-clients-3.5p1-6
openssh-askpass-3.5p1-6
openssh-askpass-gnome-3.5p1-6

One way to find the name of a package is to feed
rpm the pathname of it's binary program, with
"-f", (server or client application), such as:

rpm -qf /usr/bin/ssh
openssh-clients-3.5p1-6

rpm -qf /usr/sbin/sshd
openssh-server-3.5p1-6

Then you remove that package (optionally leaving
off the version info):

rpm -e openssh-clients --test
(--test only simulates, as you guessed).
produces:
error: Failed dependencies:
	openssh-clients is needed by (installed) kdebase-3.1-13

Then you need to decide whether you really
need....

For sendmail:
rpm -e sendmail --test
error: Failed dependencies:
	smtpdaemon is needed by (installed) fetchmail-6.2.0-3
	smtpdaemon is needed by (installed) mutt-1.4.1-1

But you know that postfix will fix that, so you
add --nodeps (otherwise risky):
rpm -e sendmail --test --nodeps
(no complaint this time)

> I think that is where I will need the help at
> the moment to remove the sendmail packages.

No problem there:
rpm -qf /usr/sbin/sendmail
sendmail-8.12.8-5.90

But maybe you succeeded before and didn't know it.
To find out, do:

rpm -q sendmail postfix
sendmail-8.12.8-5.90
package postfix is not installed

(but you may see the reverse, if you have been
successful).

Best wishes, LCR

BTW, you guys have convinced me to try postfix, as
you might have guessed from the fact that I have
been looking over the install scripts (the ones
for postfix are unusually complicated).

--
L. C. Robinson
reply to no_spam+munged_lcr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

People buy MicroShaft for compatibility, but get
incompatibility and instability instead.  This is
award winning "innovation".  Find out how MS holds
your data hostage with "The *Lens*"; see
"CyberSnare" at
http://www.netaction.org/msoft/cybersnare.html