Re: machine with Linux on flash card

Sorry I'm late. Worked all day long helping friend move his office.

On Sat, May 31, 2003 at 06:49:41PM -0500, Christopher Brannon wrote:
> Rafael Skodlar <raffi@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > Hi Christopher,
> > The box is about the size of large book and portable. Of course you
> > would need some kind of battery to make it usable away from the power
> > source.
> Hello Rafael,
> Thank you for the clarification.  This Mini-Box does look tempting.
>
> Does the system run standard Linux, or is it a modified version?  If it
> is standard, I would just need to replace it with a small, speech-enabled
> Linux distribution.  That is easily done.

It's my understanding that it runs embedded Linux. That could be any
distribution realy. You can modify it so that it includes only programs
you need.

> By standard, I mean, is the kernel just any old X86 kernel?  I'm sure they
> had to really prune the system, to make it fit on flash.

I'm sure they trimmed it down to fit the smallest possible flash memory
but you should be able to replace that memory with a bigger one, 256 MB
for example. Motherboard is Pentium compatible so most binaries for PCs
should run on it.

> Also, The Mini-Box information refers to the compact flash as "front loading".
> Does that mean "removable"?

Yes it's removable. There are audio in and out jacks, CF memory slot,
and 2 USB ports in the front next to LCD and 14 touch switches.

I remember talking to Andrei, the designer of the board, how he wants to
make the system as flexible as possible. Who knows, there might be some
of my ideas in there too ;-)

Here is what the webside says about the CF adapter:

"The IDE to CompactFlash adapter enables OEMs to replace hard disk
drives with economical, rugged CompactFlash cards. This is a convenient
interface that allows CompactFlash modules to be used in any system that
includes a standard IDE 40 pin connector. Once the platform starts with
the adapter and the CF card attached, the compactflash module appears to
the system to be a standard disk drive. Unlike other flash storage
systems such DiskOn-Chip modules this solution does not require drivers
or additional software to run the unit. The CF card can be the primary
boot device containing the OS and application. A cable (not supplied)
between the system and the adapter board makes it possible to mount the
adapter to a front-panel bay."

The CF adapter used in that box costs $29.95. Note that it's somewhat
specific for mini-ITX board in that box. There are other CF adapters
that fit better in other computers.

Ituner is selling two additional CF adapters, CFDISK.1C and CFDISK.2D,
either one for $24.95.

They also list motherboards
$115 VIA EPIA 800MHz Motherboard
$112 VIA EPIA 5000, Eden 533MHz Fanless Motherboard
$154 VIA EPIA ME6000, 600MHz, Fanless
$176 VIA EPIA 10000, 1.0GHz, Ezra-T

> If so, I wonder if there is some adapter which would allow my home machine
> to read and write the removable media?

Yes, there is. You can get adapters that connect to IDE (ATA) cable sold
by Ituner and others, or you can get a USB adapter for flash memory. I
bought Travel Flash credit card size (it's about 1cm thick) adapter you
plug into USB port. It handles CF, SD, IBM mini disk, and Smart Media
memories. It helps me transfer pictures from digital camera to PC or
Zaurus PDA.

> > You can order power adapter from Ituner, buy motherboard from the
> > mailorder place or local store, and install all in your case for less
> > than $350 I believe.
> Yes, I like the idea of building my own.  It would be cheaper certainly, but
> also customized.
> As I see it, the real advantage of buying a Mini-Box is convenience.

Sure. You can find a box that will need little modification to hold
mini-ITX motherboard and whatever else you want to connect to it. It
would make sense for people with limited vision to have Linux adapted to
their needs and stored in CF memory.

--
Rafael