Re: machine with Linux on flash card

Rafael Skodlar <raffi@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> Hi Christopher,
> The box is about the size of large book and portable. Of course you
> would need some kind of battery to make it usable away from the power
> source.
Hello Rafael,
Thank you for the clarification.  This Mini-Box does look tempting.

Does the system run standard Linux, or is it a modified version?  If it
is standard, I would just need to replace it with a small, speech-enabled
Linux distribution.  That is easily done.
By standard, I mean, is the kernel just any old X86 kernel?  I'm sure they
had to really prune the system, to make it fit on flash.

Also, The Mini-Box information refers to the compact flash as "front loading".
Does that mean "removable"?
If so, I wonder if there is some adapter which would allow my home machine
to read and write the removable media?

> You can order power adapter from Ituner, buy motherboard from the
> mailorder place or local store, and install all in your case for less
> than $350 I believe.
Yes, I like the idea of building my own.  It would be cheaper certainly, but
also customized.
As I see it, the real advantage of buying a Mini-Box is convenience.