festival --server not speaking in RH9

Has anyone had this problem?  I can't get festival --server to speak in
RH9.  I tried using it directly and also using the Emacspeak server which
is supposed to start festival --server automatically, but it won't talk.
I am using all defaults that installed with RH9 for festival.  Do I need
to change something to get the server to speak?

Thanks,
Lorenzo

Microsoft is not the answer.
Microsoft is the question.
NO (or Linux) is the answer.
	-- Taken from a .signature from someone from the UK, source unknown