Linux by console?

Someone mentioned to me that one could drive a Linux machine in a
console mode using one or several of the proprietory note takers like
Braille 'n Speak, Transtype and the like. This would be different and
perhaps simpler than many of the other screen reading mechanisms.  The
question I was going to ask was - is there roll-back in any of those
in order to re-read past output?

Is this done by anyone and how effective is it?

GA!