Re: global questions

Re question 1:

Never, *never*, link anything to /etc/rc.* files, unless you know very
well what you are doing.

Those are not programs, they are bash scripts.  Most of them are sourced
into bash, instead of executing bash shells on their own.  That means,
that you are trying to run a binary executable as a set of sh commands,
and thus of course "elf", is not recognized.

Read the rc.init documentation (or even some of the initial scripts
themselves), for information on how to write a startup script that will
properly start brltty.

I have not used brltty in several years, but I am surprised that they
do not have documentation on this procedure, and would suggest that you
make sure of this.

Regards,

Luke