global questions

Hello all,

I have some global linux-questions:

Global information of my system:
I use Debian Gnu/Linux (testing) on a computer with a AMD Athlon
processor.
I am running kernel version 2.4.19 at this moment without patches.
The system is configured with the ext3 filesystem on /dev/hda2
I have the following partitions: /dev/hda1 (swap) and /dev/hda2
(linux)

1. while booting
How can I configure the system so that brltty is starting automatically
while the system is booting?
At the moment, brltty starts at boot-time because I have made a symbolic
link from /sbin/brltty to /etc/rc.boot/brltty
But, I have some errors.

When I start brltty manually : ". /etc/rc.boot/brltty " with the link in /etc/rc.boot/, I receive
the following error:

bash: ELF???: command not found
When I start it with the command " /sbin/brltty ": all goes well.
After the braille display is started , the system is blocking.

I have to press ctrl+c to cancel a certain process so that I can boot the
system colpletelly.

The last 5 lines that I can see before the computer stops booting are:
Initializing random number generator... done.
brltty[168]: Alva driver, version 2.1
Alva driver, version 2.1
brltty[168]: Using the Alva Delphi's built-in speech.
Using the Alva Delphi's built-in speech.

#end of this lines

After I press ctrl+c to boot the rest of the system, I see the following
messages after "Using the Alva Delphi's built-in speech." :

INIT: Entering runlevel: 2
Starting system log daemon: syslogd.
Starting kernel log daemon: klogd.
Starting mouse interface server: gpm.
Starting internet superserver: inetd.

Where can I find the script/program/binary... that is blocking while
booting the system?

2. console-lines
Normally, my consoles are configured with 80 characters and 25 line.
When I am working for some time on my computer, the lines on a console
are reduced to 12 lines.
This affects all the consoles on the whole system for all users  ,
inclusive root.
The problem isn't solved when I logout and login again on all the
consoles .

When this happens the system-variable LINES is set to 12 (at startup ,
it's set to 25)).

When I change this variable to 25 with the following command: nothing
happens.
I do this with the following command:
export LINES=25

What's the solution for this?

3. irssi-text
Is it possible to hear a signal when a private message arrives on irc
with irssi-text?
If it's possible, which configurations do I need?

best regards
William Windels