Re: Setting Up a New Machine

On Sat, Mar 15, 2003 at 11:22:26PM -0600, John J. Boyer wrote:
> Nicolas,
>
> Thanks. One more problem. If I try to use a hostname in the scp
> command I get "Unknown host or service". To make it work I have to use
> the ip address. I fixed /etc/sysconfig/network on both machines with
> names like jumbo.chpi.org . What else has to be done?

The quick and dirty solution for small networks[1] is to add the name
and the IP address of the machines in the /etc/hosts file - see the
manpage for hosts. When Linux 'looks' for your machine names, it will
check /etc/hosts before asking DNS.

Hope this helps,

Pete

[1] If you have a public IP address, you can get your provider to add a
DNS record for your machine, and thus circumventing /etc/hosts
altogether. This is what you want if you intend to connect to your
machine from a remote host and don't want to remember the IP address all
the time.

--
Pete St. Onge
pete@xxxxxxxx