Re: Setting Up a New Machine

Nicolas,

Thanks. One more problem. If I try to use a hostname in the scp command I
get "Unknown host or service". To make it work I have to use the ip
address. I fixed /etc/sysconfig/network on both machines with names like
jumbo.chpi.org . What else has to be done?
Thanks,
John
 On Sat, 15 Mar 2003, Nicolas
Pitre wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Mar 2003, John J. Boyer wrote:
>
> > 1. I have used hostname and domainname to set these values. However, they
> > don't carry over on reboot. How can I make them permanent?
>
> Edit /etc/sysconfig/network and put the full name for your machine on the
> line that reads "HOSTNAME=".
>
> Alternatively you can run the netconf tool which is menu driven.
>
> > 2. How can I copy files such as .lynxrc from my present system to my user
> > account on the new system?
>
> Since you're already using ssh I suggest you look at the man page for scp.
>

> Nicolas

Computers to Help People, Inc.
http://www.chpi.org
825 East Johnson; Madison, WI 53703