Re: using partition magic for duel boot

Let's see if we can get your situation expressed a bit more clearly.

Are you saying the computer you want to install Red Hat on was
repartitioned for you by a friend of yours? Or, are you saying that youe
used to have another computer once upon a time that someone partitioned
for you?

If it's the first, you just need to understand how partitions are named
to begin your installation. If it's the first, you're done with
Partition Magic. You don't need it any more.

If it's the second, you still need to learn how to talk about partitions
with the right words. As far as Partition Magic is concerned, simply
tell it the size you want your various Windows drives to be and it will
do the rest.

Now, to the issue of how to talk about partitions. Please forget all
about C:, D:, and all that alphabet soup from DOS. It won't help you. In
fact, it will continue to confuse you. Those are just names that Windows
and DOS give to the partitions they see. Obviously, if they don't see a
particular partition, they won't give it a letter name, which is part of
the reason why talking in those terms isn't going to help. You need to
learn a language, and you need to use tools, that show you all
partitions, regardless of whether or not a particular OS knows how to
use them.

Read our Installation HOWTO which you can find at:

http://www.linux-speakup.org/ftp/disks/redhat/HOWTO_INSTALL.html

Please ignore all the parts about downloading iso images from the
Speakup Modified site. The HOWTO is a bit old, and you don't need to do
that anymore.

But, it should help point you toward a better understanding of
partitions and how to work with them.

The partitioning tools made available during an installation of Red Hat
8.0, which is what you should use, will give you the opportunity to
specify what to do with which partition. Obviously, you're job will be
to tell it to leave the Windows partitions alone, which it will happily
do. Also, your job will be to specify which partitions that remain are
to be used in which way. Until you understand this, you're not ready to
install.
I hope this is helpful to you. Please write again. I'm sure you'll have
more questions.

--

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development