Re: Setting Display to UTF-8

[quoted lines by Lee Maschmeyer on March 12, 2003, at 13:57]

>OK all you old Unix geezers, where'd I
>mess up?

The locale settings don't, in and of themselves, set the console (screen and
keyboard) into any given mode. One hopes, however, that the system startup code
does all the right things. This may, of course, vary from distribution to
distribution.

For the untrusting, though, and for the experimentally inclined, there are
three commands which are of interest with respect to this isssue. The
vt-is-UTF8 command tells you which mode your console is in. The unicode_start
command puts your console into UTF8 mode. The unicode_stop command puts your
console into single-byte mode.

EMail: dave@xxxxxxxxx | Canada  K2A 1H7   | if you're concerned about Hell.
http://familyradio.com/                   | http://mielke.cc/bible/