Debian Talking Install?

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Nicolas Pitre wrote:

> With initrd and the upcoming initial ramfs about to become mandatory in

What is initrd?  I have been hopelessly out of touch with Linux
development for about a year.

> Linux 2.6 or 3.0 there is absolutely no reason for such support to live in
> the kernel.  This, plus the current trand about all speech synthesis made
> into software through a sound card is yet more reason for a user space
> solution.
> Unfortunately, the speakup developers just don't seem to "see the light".

I have watched this discussion several times over the years, and still do
not have a good understanding of why it should have *ever* been in the
kernel.  It is very obviously an application, not a driver.  In most
cases, the kernel is limited to providing driver support.
Let us not forget, that it is the purpose of the operating system, to
interface between user applications, and the hardware; not to *be* a user
application in and of itself.
So what value is it, to have any part of speakup in the kernel?

This is not to say that I am intensely apposed to the idea, if there is
some highly good reason for it, but as far as I yet know (and granted that
isn't much), there isn't one.

Luke