OT: Porting Software from Windows 98 to Linux/Gnome

On Fri, 3 Jan 2003, John J. Boyer wrote:

> I have a programming contract which requires this. A
> trial compilation of one module produced three
> screenfuls of error messages.

The GUI API interface is, of course, totally different,
so you would naturally get plenty of errors.

Have you looked at the wine project
(http://winehq.org/) to see if it would help ease the
re-writing involved?  I mean for the shared library
clones (Win dll equivalent API translation libraries),
which can be compiled in, not for the MS-Win emulator.
Not that the emulator scheme is bad (see the myths
section on the above site).  But you said something
about a contract, and implied that it requires porting.
So maybe you should investigate, and talk to your
customer, perhaps re-negotiating for what best meets
their needs?  After all, that's one of the best reasons
to hire an open source programmer -- to leverage
existing code, and the collective efforts of others.

> ... Could one of you suggest a list that discusses
> this topic?

Well, since wine is Open-Source, there is a list for
it.  Why not ask there, about the issues beyond the
APIs they are cloning?

-- L. C. Robinson
reply to no_spam+munged_lcr@onewest.net.invalid

People buy MicroShaft for compatibility, but get incompatibility and
instability instead.  This is award winning "innovation".  Find
out how MS holds your data hostage with "The *Lens*"; see
"CyberSnare" at http://www.netaction.org/msoft/cybersnare.html