Re: Strange extended ASCII characters in Red Hat setup screens?

I believe there's both a system default, and the opportunity for user specific locale definitions. Certainly there's the /usr/share/i18n tree, and then,
in RH, the system default in /etc/sysconfig/i18n.

In the long run, however, we need to get with UTF8. It's the way of the future, particularly as it supports most of the world's languages better. But as
with most transitions, there are undoubtedly gotchyas to discover and resolve.

For the record, on my three RH 8.0 systems, I have the following three i18n settings:

LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
SYSFONT="latarcyrheb-sun16"

LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
SUPPORTED="en_US.UTF-8:en_US:en"                              [16][(1)__[ Select CD Vendor ]]
SYSFONT="latarcyrheb-sun16"

LANG="en_US.UTF-8"diaWorld___]
SYSFONT="latarcyrheb-sun16"

All of this was created by the Red Hat installer. I am at a loss to explain the variance in the second system.