Re: First working Alpha version of debian-installer with brlttysupport

John <red@computerdatasafe.com.au> writes:

> On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, Mario Lang wrote:
>
>> It was quite hard to fit all on one floppy (kernel+initrd),
>> so I had to do some modifications by hand (pack
>> kernel with upx, and delete all brltty modules
>> except ht and ts).
>
> It's worth noting that if you have a CD burner, then you can use a 2.88
> Mbyte floppy image and use it when burning CDs.
BRLTTY is already included in the 2.88 mb image CDROM
based installer flavor.

> Booting off a LAN is another good way to test. I've not tried booting
> from hard drive, but that should work even better.
I prefer my current way of testing things: A separate
machine with PC weasel installed and connected to ttyS1 of my
workstation, minicom on the workstation, and a rs232 switchbox
for the braille display cable.

> Figuring out what goes on the boot floppy itself can be done later, and
> may require a separate driver floppy.
I'm not understanding this.  If that point is important, could
you elaborate?  It is not that trivial,
since the 2.4.19-386 kernel does have CONFIG_BKL_FD=m, which
makes certain things more complicated (like
using LOAD_RAMDISK=1 instead of initrd).
I could elaborate on the situation if you want, but
I think it's a bit too much -devel related to go here.

--
CYa,