Re: [OT] Blinux dd command to copy key disks

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, Kieran OSullivan wrote:

> I am trying to backup a jaws key disk incase the original gets dammaged and I have been using the dd command to do so.  However the "bad" secotors on th disk are defeating dd.  I have 2 solutions. 1. find an dos/windows based program which will do this or 2. turn off the error reporting in linux for floppy disks.  Anyone know how to turn off error checking in linux for floppies tried /etc/fdprm but that wasn't a lot of help.

I do not think that turning off errro checking will make it more prone
to work, it would only make a copy you could not be sure of.

Nore do I think a DOSish box more likely to succeed, though a different
actually floppy drive may help.

I don't know anything about your disk. Perhaps, though, it can be copied
with wo one of the high-capacity logical drives. Take a look at the
drives shown by
ls /dev/fd0*
and try some of the others such as /dev/fd0h1476.

Copy to an image on your had drive in the first instance.