Re: First working Alpha version of debian-installer with brltty support

Hello!

Thanks alot for your work! I'll try it right now!

I just had a look at the root filesystem of the disk.
I think, it could be expanded to work with all braille terminals by putting
brltty on a seperate disk:
On the homepage of brltty you can download prepared binaries for all the
different braille displays. Someone, who doesn't have a running Linux could
still copy one of those binaries on a DOS disk with Windows, and the init-script could do
something like

echo Insert disk with brltty.
read ret
mount /floppy
cp /floppy/brltty /sbin
chmod ugo+x /sbin/brltty
/sbin/brltty
echo You can remove the disk.
read ret

I did such modifications to the old install system.

Yours, Rudolf

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 05:40:08PM +0100, Mario Lang wrote:

> Hello.
>
> As some of you perhaps know, debian is rewriting its
> installer system completely new.  I've done some brltty
> integration work, and here is the first easily testable
> result:
>
> http://gluck.debian.org/~mlang/net-brl-ht-ts-1440.img
>
> Disclaimer:
>
> First of all, this is an alpha version of
> the debian-installer, so you should expect problems.
>
> Introduction:
> - -------------
>
> It was quite hard to fit all on one floppy (kernel+initrd),
> so I had to do some modifications by hand (pack
> kernel with upx, and delete all brltty modules
> except ht and ts).
>

> Which displays should work:
>
> HandyTech and TSI family displays.
> The choice was simply made because I have
> a ht and a ts model around...
>

> How to use:
> - -------
>
> Get the image, and write it to disk:
> dd if=net-brl-ht-ts-1440.img of=dev/fd0
>
> Then get some computer you want to try this on...
> Boot up the PC with the floppy inserted.
>
> At the Boot: prompt (careful, its only 5 seconds
> displayed right now), enter
>
> Linux BRLTTY_BRAILLE_DRIVER=xx
>
> where xx is the module shortcut, like ts or ht.
>
> The default device is /dev/tts/0.  SO if you connect
> your display to com1, you should be fine.
>

> I just wanted to get this out there for interested
> folks to play with, please let me know if you
> have any questions.  But keep in mind that this
> is far from production-quality software, its all very
> much under development right now.
>
> - --
> CYa,
>   Mario | Debian Developer <URL:http://debian.org/>
>         | Get my public key via finger mlang@db.debian.org
>         | 1024D/7FC1A0854909BCCDBE6C102DDFFC022A6B113E44

Rudolf Weeber
Mühlrain 9
70180 Stuttgart / Germany

Tel: 0711 62009381