Re: Need mouse help

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, Mike Keithley wrote:

> I followed your recommendations and X still doesn't
> see the mouse.  Also, there is no indication in the
> boot messages that the ps/2 port is detected.

There is nothing in my boot messages (saved in
/var/log/dmesg) for that either, but the mouse works
fine.  A lot of hardware is detected after boot, and
the kernel modules may be loaded on demand.

> GPM also fails--can't find the mouse.  /dev/device is
> linked to /dev/pasux which is the right device for a
> ps/2 mouse.

Guessing at what you actually meant to say, I assume
that a long listing of the right file (not the one you
listed) shows this?:
prompt> ls -l /dev/mouse
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            5 Sep 14 17:52 /dev/mouse -> psaux

> So it seems the problem has to do with the 2.4.18
> kernel code.

For any stock, common hardware, production level linux
kernels, which this is, should normally be assumed to
rock solid: remember that you are in the open source
world now, not in that proprietary netherworld with
routinely buggy drivers.  This problem is almost
certainly due to a configuration error.

LCR

--
L. C. Robinson
reply to no_spam+munged_lcr@onewest.net.invalid

People buy MicroShaft for compatibility, but get incompatibility and
instability instead.  This is award winning "innovation".  Find
out how MS holds your data hostage with "The *Lens*"; see
"CyberSnare" at http://www.netaction.org/msoft/cybersnare.html