Re: Questions About Upgrading to RH8.0

Hi, John:

I've upgraded. But, then, I'm the sort of person who just prefers to be
updated. Since you didn't ask for package/security related reasons to
upgrade, I'll not address anything about that.

John J. Boyer writes:

Well, this may not be an answer you'll like, but I think the best answer
is advance planning. Perhaps the most pwerful thing to recognize on this
subject is that you don't have to repartition your hard disk in order to
upgrade your installation. You can format some of its partitions, and
leave others as they are, to be precise. If your /home is a separate
partition, for example, your data there can easily be preserved. Ditto
for /usr/local. I now tend to keep /home and /usr/local as separate
partitions just for this reason, that I don't want to lose the data
there during a system upgrade.

If your /usr/local isn't separate, but contains data and software you
want to keep, simply copy it to a directory on /home.

My usual procedure is to routinely copy my /etc to a backup directory on
/home just as a security measure against doing something stupid as root
with some file there. It hasn't happened often, but it has happened,
that I've needed to retrieve something from that backup.

If you have many users, for example, you can take the bottom part of
/etc/passwd, and /etc/shadow, the part with your user data, and do catt
[backup-passwd-file] >>/etc/passwd after the installation to restore
those users on the new system. Of course, you need to do that for shadow
as well. I also do it for groups, fstab, exports, hosts, host.allow,
host.deny, and several other files. I don't overwrite the new files with
the old, because I allow that there may be differences that are
important in the new installation. But, I've never had a problem using
cat >> to put my additions back after an upgrade.

> Thanks.
> John
>

> --
> Computers to Help People, Inc.