Re: Partitions

On Wed, 6 Nov 2002, Lee Maschmeyer wrote:

> Yes, Virginia, there is life outside Daisy. Is it poison ivy?
>
> Meaning: I've got Windows XP Home on an NTFS file system. From reading a
> document about partitioning I believe that I can't have a FAT and NTFS
> partition on the same disk, right? Though UMSDOS requires FAT (not including
> FAT32?) and though this is required for any of the sight-free Linux
> installations (preferably Braille, not speech), could I get some other Linux
> file system to coexist with NTFS to give me a multi-boot system? Is there
> any way I could subsection the free space on my disk and turn it into a
> partition without having to reformat the whole thing and reinstall Windows
> (which I can't do since it's an OEM system).

You can have NTFS and FAT, EXT{2,3}, HPFS and lots of other filesystems
on the same disk.

However, in your case, getting them there will involve repartitioning.
Partition Magic is said to do a fine job of it, but Prudence thinks you
should backup the data first.

I've had Linux and XP dual booting and it works well.

> Or can I add a second hard drive and boot either system that way?

This is a safe alternative. You can have Linux on the second drive, and
install Grub on the first and configure it to boot either.

Another is to use disk caddies such as those sold under the VIPower and
Lian Li names. You shut the system down and turn it off. Pull one drive
out, push the other in, turn computer back on. If you decide on a second
drive, ask the dealer to set this up for you.

 --

Cheers
John.

Please, no off-list mail. You will fall foul of my spam treatment.