dual booting and linux books (was Re: Partitions)

Red Hat has tutorials about partitioning and dual
booting in appendixes to their installation guide:
I just skimmed it, and it seems to cover the answers
to all your questions in fairly practical detail.  The
concepts are not new to me, though, so I'm not sure
whether they would seem as clear to a new user.

Red Hat's manuals are downloadable separately from their
web site, in a variety of formats (you need not
download the whole Documentation CD iso-image, as
suggested by another poster).  For the other poster who
asked about linux books, there is also a Getting
Started Guide, and some other stuff: for more detail
about sources of Linux documentation, and how to use
the huge library available, read the blinux FAQ.

On Fri, 8 Nov 2002 valhalla@computerdatasafe.com.au wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Nov 2002, Lee Maschmeyer wrote:

> > ....Is there any way I could subsection the free
> > space on my disk and turn it into a partition
> > without having to reformat the whole thing and
> > reinstall Windows (which I can't do since it's an
> > OEM system).

> You can have NTFS and FAT, EXT{2,3}, HPFS and lots of
> other filesystems on the same disk.
> I've had Linux and XP dual booting and it works well.
> >
> > Or can I add a second hard drive and boot either
> > system that way?
>
> This is a safe alternative.  ...
>
> Another is to use disk caddies such as those sold

Hard to see how this last would be justified, though,
merely for a dual boot system.

LCR

--
L. C. Robinson
reply to no_spam+munged_lcr@onewest.net.invalid

People buy MicroShaft for compatibility, but get incompatibility and
instability instead.  This is award winning "innovation".  Find
out how MS holds your data hostage with "The *Lens*"; see
"CyberSnare" at http://www.netaction.org/msoft/cybersnare.html