Re: Partitions

[quoted lines by Lee Maschmeyer on November 6, 2002, at 08:28]

>From reading a
>document about partitioning I believe that I can't have a FAT and NTFS
>partition on the same disk, right?

Wrong. Each individual partition on the same hard disk can be whatever type you
want it to be. Of course, if you want to boot from both then you need a boot
manager, e.g. lilo or grub, to make the appropriate one active at the
appropriate time.

>Though UMSDOS requires FAT (not including
>FAT32?) and though this is required for any of the sight-free Linux
>installations (preferably Braille, not speech),

Again, not so. All you need to do is to add BRLTTY to your favourite
distribution's boot disk and instruct the installation program to work in text
mode. If this is your first Linux install, i.e. if you don't already have a
working Linux system on which to build BRLTTY for the boot disk, then you can
grab a prebuilt BRLTTY from: http://brlstatx.brlspeak.net/

EMail: dave@mielke.cc | Canada  K2A 1H7   | if you're concerned about Hell.
http://familyradio.com