Re: Producing Daisy Books

David is correct. In fact, there's much opposition to the encryption spec even within members of the DAISY Consortium.
In fact, this spec is not formally part of the DAISY protocol. It's just there under consideration--and in use by RFB&D.
Many other libraries around the world do not use it.

In the U.S., however, not only publishers require such things, but the law seems to by implication. What do I mean when
I say "by implication?" Since 1996, agencies such as NLS and RFB&D no longer need to ask publishers for permission to
republish content, as long as they republish in a medium that's only used by blind and print disabled persons. That's
easy enough when the medium is braille, and it's easy enough when it's half-speed, four-track cassette. But it doesn't
apply to DAISY--except for the encryption.

PS: Did you ever consider that half-speed, four-track cassettes were a kind of analog rights management? In fact, those
characteristics were purposefully chosen to frustrate sighted people from using our set aside content.

I guess this might be as clear as mud, but the bottom line is that the fact that agencies don't need to ask permission
any longer has greatly speeded up the process of putting titles in the hands of patrons. That's a real benefit. What we
need to do is to convince NLS, RFB&D, and other libraries that effective encryption, sufficient to satisfy this
requirment for a set-aside medium, can be achieved with open encryption technologies. I believe PKI is up to it, and we
need to show them how that's achievable economically before they launch service with DAISY 3.0. Fortunately, there's
time to get that together. Meanwhile, we need open source user agents and authoring tools.

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development
				Governmental Relations Group
				American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)