Re: Producing Daisy Books

While your cynicism is partially understandable, it is also somewhat
misdirected.  Pressure to encrypt comes from the
publishing/e-publishing crowd, not from the DAISY Consortium itself.
 We would rather not have to do it!

Dave

David Andrews
Chief Technology Officer
Minnesota State Services for the Blind
(651) 642-0513

>>> mlang@teleweb.at 11/05/02 02:16AM >>>
Janina Sajka <janina@afb.net> writes:

[...]

> There was a meeting regarding this very issue following CSUN last
year.
> At this meeting I was tasked to chair a committee report to the
DAISY
> Board recommending that DAISY's next generation of user agents
and
> authoring tools use GPL/LGPL licensing, meaning that they would
be open
> source. The DAISY Board niether adopted nor rejected this
> recommendation, and I believe the issue continues unresolved
within the
> DAISY Consortium. Regretfully, I am not attending their meeting
later
> this month in Korea.

Excuse my pessimism, but this is quite what I expected.   Or do you
seriously believe this
comitee would "take away" the valueable income source of all those
poor AT-companies?
No, they will not I fear, and most probably sell DAISY readers
with
decrypt-features for a fortune... oh well.

> However, nothing prevents any one of us, or any group of us,
from
> initiating a project to create open source tools for DAISY. I
would
> expect that creating user agents would be comparatively simpler,
and
> provide the tool most needed. One would need to control audio
file
> playback of .wav and .mpg, while displaying text at the same
time. There
> are more issues, of course, but this ese are the basics in
simplest
> terms. Synchronization is achieved through SMIL 1.0 in the case
of DAISY
> 2.02 and SMIL 2.0 in the case of DAISY 3.0
>
> Regretably, RFB&D has adopted a copyright scheme based on
"security
> through obscurity," so the unpacking agent would most likely need
to be
> binary only.
ANd here is where I stop thinking about the whole issue.

Play this silly game without people like me...

see, text-files are nice, ogg files are nice too, I dont need to
play
with things which crypt the content of a book.

It's like crypted .pdfs, they are too only trouble.

> Good authoring tools are another subject altogether, though there
are
> certainly component applications that could be incorporated, such
as
> docbook.
WRiting authoring tools which *dont* support encryption sounds
interesting.
Could be used to produce content which is actually useable.

> I am happy to assist anyone wanting to look at taking this up to
the
> extent I can. One thing I can do is to send out several DAISY
2.02
> titles that are not encrypted and which provide both text and
audio. I
> expect to have such content for DAISY 3.0 in a few months.

How about lobbying for not crypting stuff?

Or demonstrating that the algo can be broken?

Both would be a kind of solution.

I still don't believe that serious people can believe they achieve
anything
but problems with "security through obscurity".

--
CYa,
  Mario