Re: Java Development Kit

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Mario Lang wrote:
> What did you want to do?  All command-line / text-output
> based java apps should work (there are practically none...).
> And GUI java stuff does *NOT* work under Linux,
> because there is still no working Java-enabled screen reader.

True. But there is charva that can, in some circumstances, interface to a
gui app:

http://www.pitman.co.za/projects/charva/

And, gnopernicus, the GNOME screen reader is coming along and will support
Java.

So, while the stars may net yet be perfectly aligned, it may be a good
time to get comfortable in Linux in order to take advantage of the Java
support which is in the queue.

PS: You may want to look at our Red Hat installation HOWTO for the generic
support it offers about making the transition from Windows to Linux, even
if you intend to install Debian or Slackware. It's at:

http://www.linux-speakup.org/ftp/disks/redhat/HOWTO_INSTALL.html