Re: x-windows access question

Andreas Jusek <a.jusek@ceyoniq.com> wrote:

{Snip}

> I am using Linux as the only operating system for about 10 or 11 years
> now. My adaptive technology is a braille display with a suitable Linux
> driver both developed by Papenmeier in Germany.

Andreas,

I was interested to read your reference to Papenmeier equipment. I've been
using the Papenmeier Braillex 2D-Screen, for about 10 years, and I'm
interested to know how you drive it from Linux.  Are you still using the old
hardware version of the display, i.e. a card which reads the data from the
video bus?  If so I agree that this provides excellent support for Linux, but
isn't very portable, as it is very difficult to install into a modern PC, as
as far as I know, it needs an ISA rather than a PCI card slot.  Have you found
a way of overcoming this problem, or do you just use a very old PC?

As far as I know, there are no specific Linux drivers written to drive the
Software version of the Papenmeier displays.  You can of course use BRLTTY,
but that isn't a Papenmeier product, and has the disadvantage over the
Hardware version, of not being 'up and running' during the early stages of the
boot process.

Sorry to pick out this minor part of your very comprehensive reply to the
original question, but I'm anxious to make sure there aren't options for
driving the display that I don't know about.

Regards,

Tim Pennick