Re: x-windows access question

Hi Larry,

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, Honaker, Larry (DSIO-MS) wrote:

> First question, are there any braille and speech access packages for
> x-windows so that a blind person can work with in the Unix environment
> competently?

In addition to the already mentioned programs GNOPERNICUS
and XVIL there was a Georgia-Tech-project called UltraSonix few years
ago. But I haven't heard about this for years now. Therefor I suppose,
there is no active development any longer.
***But that does NOT mean that it is impossible for a blind user to work
competently in the Unix-Environment:
> Second question, are there blind professionals out there working strictly=
 in
> a Unix environment? If so, what adaptive technology are you using to
> accomplish your job?

I am using Linux as the only operating system for about 10 or 11 years
now. My adaptive technology is a braille display with a suitable Linux
driver both developed by Papenmeier in Germany.

- At the university I did some research work in speech recognition using
  emacs and some development tools on the commandline.
- I did my diplomer and doctor thesis using emacs and LaTeX
- I've been working for an ISP using my Linux-box to control the
  Unix-systems and routers in the company
- currently I am working as a software developer - again using Linux as my
  primary development platform and to control the other Unix-systems (via
  telnet)
- I am also teaching - e.g. the usage of Unix and its nice tools.
  Here I write my slided with LaTeX, contert them to HTML, load them into
  a browser (lynx, links emacs/w3...) and display them to the audience
  using a beamer.

I hope this illustrates that it really ***IS POSSIBLE*** for a blind user
to work Unix/Linux without the graphical interface. Of course, sometimes it
would be easier if X was accessible, but till now there has always been a
suitable solution on the commandline.

> Any info would be greatly appreciated.

If you have any more questions about details of solutions,
just ask them!

   Best Regards

        Andreas Jusek

Mit freundlichen Gr=FC=DFen