Re: x-windows access question

Tim,

> I was interested to read your reference to Papenmeier equipment. I've been
> using the Papenmeier Braillex 2D-Screen, for about 10 years, and I'm
> interested to know how you drive it from Linux.  Are you still using the old
> hardware version of the display, i.e. a card which reads the data from the
> video bus?  If so I agree that this provides excellent support for Linux, but
> isn't very portable, as it is very difficult to install into a modern PC, as
> as far as I know, it needs an ISA rather than a PCI card slot.  Have you found
> a way of overcoming this problem, or do you just use a very old PC?
>
> As far as I know, there are no specific Linux drivers written to drive the
> Software version of the Papenmeier displays.  You can of course use BRLTTY,
> but that isn't a Papenmeier product, and has the disadvantage over the
> Hardware version, of not being 'up and running' during the early stages of the
> boot process.

I was using Papenmeier's hardware solution formany years and am quite sad,
that no modern PC and braille display would support this technique :-(
I'm currently using the Papenmeier el 2d-80, which can only be driven via
RS232. This display is supported by the SuSE sbl but currently without the
"second dimension". I'm using uxdots, which is a commercial product
from Papenmeier. There is a web-site www.uxdots.de where I think you can
download a demo version.

The SuSE-driver is distributed with the normal SuSE-Linux distribution. It
should recognize you display during the installation automatically.

Brltty should also support the braillex 2d-screen.

       Best regards

            Andreas