linksys ethernet card about to be trashed

I have a new netgear card to replace the linksys with and the linksys died
in a strange way.  The tulip-diag program couldn't locate the card's eprom
when I tested the port it was on.  That card hadn't been connected up to
verizon.net's server all that long when that happened.  verizon.net
thought slackware 8.00 drivers for the card were too far outdated to run
on its network since ethernet light on modem was flashing green and
ethernet card was solid yellow.  If any of you run into a situation like
that with an ethernet card it may be time to replace the card.