Re: IBM Lap Tops

Hi Luke,

On Thu, 12 Sep 2002 22:00:01 -0400 (EDT), Luke wrote:
> I am abot to be installing Slackware or Debian on an
> IBM Thinkpad 600.
>
> Is there anything I might need to know, before attempting
> my first laptop install?

For general information, please check out the following web
page:

http://www.linux-laptop.net

At last count, they had 19 people who installed Linux
successfully on an IBM Thinkpad 600/600E/600X. The
information these people supplied to Linux Laptops can
be very, very important when you try to install Linux.
(regardless of which distro you choose).

Also, you should check:

http://tpctl.sourceforge.net
http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/tpb/

As these are additionnal software, specifically written
to use Thinkpad features under Linux.

Next, to be more specific:

Unless you have a very, very fast Internet connection, use
Slackware 8.1 for this installation. I recently installed
this version of Slackware on my laptop and everything worked
very well. I do not recommend Debian, in general, because
installation seems harder than Slackware.

On the other hand, updating Debian once it is installed is
muche easier *if* you have a high-speed connection to the
Internet. A colleague of mine has, at work, a complete and
up-to-date mirror of Debian and he uses to update all his
machines -- most can be updated with a single command and
a few minutes.

Slackware, on the other hand, offers less functionality when
it comes to updating, but is (to me) easier to install and
a very, very stable platform indeed.

The one thing to remember with Slackware is to configure the
different modules (in /etc/rc.d/) that will be needed to
support all the hardware of your laptop. The rest is easy.

Hope this helps!

--

Gil Andre ___ Technical writer ___ Arkeia Corporation
email: gandre@arkeia.com | web: http://www.arkeia.com