screen utility

>From your login shell prompt just enter the command screen.
e.g.
$ screen

You should get a page with the authors blurb. Hit return and
you should  get back to the shell prompt.

At this point, if all goes well, screen is running and you can
create new virtual console sessions by typing  ctrl-A c. That is hit
the control-A key and then hit C. The control-A key is your meta key.

To switch between screens hit control-A 0 through control-A 9
To toggle back and forth between two screens use conrtol-A conrtol-A. The
last two screens accessed will be the alternates.

Look at the help screens using control-A ?.

Screen uses the vt100 terminal type or a variant of it so your temrinal
emulator must be a VT100.

I find it useful to define PS1 with a $WINDOW component since this
value is set by screen and tells me at the shell prompt, which screen I am
in.