redhat and console mode

Hello Travis,
There are a few ways to do this.
The simplest way is to pull the video card from the linux system.  If the
linux console driver does not see a video card in the system, it will
default to ttyS0.
The other eay to do it is to boot into rescue mode from the redhat
installation disk.  Once you are up in rescue mode, you can change to
/mnt/sysimage and edit your grub.conf file and add the console= line
there.

No matter how you do it, you will need to add a line to /etc/inittab so
you can get a login prompt on the serial port.
The line I use is something like this:
7:respawn:/sbin/agetty ttyS0 9600 vt100

There are different versions of getty on the system, but htis is the one I
use.