Getting to the internet

ISPs do not care.  In most cases they don't even know what is connected
to the access channels they provide.
On the other hand an ISP can say whatever it wants. So if it says they
only support Windows then do not bother calling them up with questions about
Linux or Macs or Amigas or DOS, because in all probability, all their service
desk people know is the Windows configurations.

The cable and DSL providers want their modems to be connected to a Windows PC
because they get to charge $49 for each such connection. But nothing
prevents you from hooking up a D-link router to that cable or dsl modem and
then connecting two or three Linux machines to the  router.

But don't expect the ISP to be able or willing to help you do it.
If you plan to hook anything other than a Windows PC to your internet channel
you will need to either learn the basics on your own or get third party technical
help.

Perhaps this may change someday, but for now it is the reality.

Rudy