dealing with javascript

On Thu, 23 May 2002, T. V. Raman wrote:
hi,
 > Basically Javascript of interest does one of 3 things:
 >
 > 0) generate content (document.write )
 > 1) Provides an event handler e.g. for mouse rollovers etc
 > --the only handler that is really of interest is the one on
 > form submit and anchor clicks (href="javascript:")
yes, and the one where other menys are chagned whena  selection in a meny
is made.
Like you select a movie and another meny wiill change to the availabel
theaters where it is showing.
This ofcourse does some calls to teh server as well.
These are the more tricky parts.

 > 2) These handlers typically show up as JS functions written
 > by the site author -- and eventually end up calling
 > window.open or something equivalent  like
 > document.location="url"
indeed, some like the javascript() once can mostly simply be rewritten
using the page it's baseurl and appending the url in the js() link.

 > You can handle all of these by essentially running the HTML
 > page through a JS interpreter and telling the interpreter to
 > produce HTML with the JS code evaluated
 > and results spliced back in as HTML.
How about ssl-stuff, your proxy needs essentially to understand ssl as
well.

 > Look at rhino.jar for a full JS implementation in Java
 > --take rhino.jar and write yourself the above interpreter
 > --if you dont like Java pick your favorite language.
Java is to slow for this, specialy on heavyloaded machines or haevily
loaded proxy-systems.
Perl should be easier causei it's made to handel text in/output

 > Finally hook the "interpreter" above
 > into a proxy server and test it.
 > the proxy server should run JS enabled WWW pages through
 > your interpreter.
maybe easier to write a small proxy yourself then to say edit the
squid-proxy to do this.

 > If you build this it will work for all browsers.
ture.