Getting to the internet

On Thu, 23 May 2002, Gil Andre wrote:

> First of all, it's "Linux" and not "Lynux". To pronounce
> "Linux" correctly... This has been the subject of a huge
> number of internet debates and religious wars. <grin>

He-he... Linus himself settled this years ago (or tried to).
Basically, he said it doesn't matter, that any of the common
pronunciations is OK: he specifically mentioned the obvious
anglo way, with the long "i".  It's probably in the linux FAQ
-- been so long I can't remember anymore for sure.

> There used to be a small sound clip with Linus Torvalds,
> the creator of Linux, saying the "Linux" word, but I
> can't find it right now unfortunately...

This clip is interesting, if you happen to see it floating
about.  You won't likely find it pronounced that way in common
usage though, and are likely as not to have to repeat yourself if
you say it that way (unless you are from Finland).

> One very, very helpful site you may want to access is
> the Linux Documentation Project, which has hundreds of
> manuals covering all aspects of Linux. It can be found
> on the Internet at the following address:
>
> http://www.linuxdoc.org

You will be redirected -- the reason given on that page:
   Same Information - Different Name. The Linux
   Documentation Project has a new domain name. You can
   now find the LDP on the web at tldp.org. This name
   change came about due to....

And don't overlook the blinux FAQ (explore the links attached to
the messages in this list to find it).

-- L. C. Robinson
reply to no_spam+munged_lcr@onewest.net.invalid