dealing with javascript

I guess we're all running into problems with javascript more and more
often.  I'm wondering if it's time to put some collective effort into
a solution and, if so, what it might be.
The last time this topic turned up on the emacs-w3 list, Bill Perry's
suggestion was for some kind of external parser, rather than extending
the capabilities of emacs-w3 itself.
The other alternatives I see are to wait and hope the netscape
accessibility efforts make the problem go away or to extend the
capabilities of some other access tool.
Does anyone have any suggestions for which alternative might be
preferable?  If we do decide on an external filter what kinds of
capabilities must it have?  The few times I've looked inside
inaccessible pages the JS seems to be doing uninteresting things like
drop-down lists which could easily be handled other ways.  But I don't
know enough about the capabilities of javascript to know what other
kinds of events we might have to deal with.  I'm happy to try and hack
something together to do this provided there's a reasonable chance of
success; it's about time I brushed up my perl anyway.    There  also
look to be some open-source implementations of interpretters out there
we could possibly modify for the task.
So do people have a view of whether and how to go forward with this?
Any currently active projects?  Other comments
cheers
Peter Rayner