dhcp problems with loopspk and redhat 7.2

I am on a network in the dorms at college here. Windows works fine online,
(however, barely much faster than a modem when my friend's system downloads
about 10 times my transfer rate). I try to boot linux up, and get dhcpcd
timed out in loopspk, and redhat just hangs at bringing up eth0, probably
unable to get the dhcp connection. I once could use linux on the network
awhile ago, but I goofed up the upgrade from 7.1 to 7.2 and had to
recompile my kernel. How do I get linux on the net so I can go online with
it? I wanted to see if I might be able to pull an iso image down before the
end of school at which time I got to go back to the dreaded dialup.