I just became Red Hat certified!

On Wed, 8 May 2002, Jason Fayre wrote:

> In your /etc/inittab file, near the end, you will see 6 lines
> starting with a number 1 through 6.

Just add it to the end.  The other lines make no difference (for
this functionality).

>   Add a line under that that says:
>  7:respawn:/sbin/agetty 9600 ttyS0 vt100

This must have been taken from a Slackware system (and the line
syntax was badly broken anyway).  Red Hat does not ship agetty.
You can use getty (from the getty_ps package), or mgetty, if that
package is installed (better control of bells, etc):

t0:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty -r1 ttyS0 DT9600

There is more detail in previous postings (see the blinux
archives), but if you are going for certification, you will
no doubt find the standard documentation more appropriate.

A more interesting aspect of the original question would concern
how one would add the needed line to the inittab file before the
system was accessible.  In the real world, I guess a likely
method might be via a custom script on a rescue floppy, or
perhaps interactively through a speech enabled rescue CD,
modified from one of the recent CD rescue distributions.  Or to
access, say, a running network server, from another linux
machine, one would probably just scp down a copy of inittab,
modify it, and scp it back (not that one would have much use for
a serial terminal in an already networked environment -- for
bootup and emergencies?).  But I am curious about what would be
acceptable in a certification course environment.

-- L. C. Robinson
reply to no_spam+munged_lcr@onewest.net.invalid

People buy MicroShaft for compatibility, but get incompatibility and
instability instead.  This is award winning "innovation".  Find
out how MS holds your data hostage with "The *Lens*"; see
"CyberSnare" at http://www.netaction.org/msoft/cybersnare.html