Linux speech w/o special hardware

I'm unclear on which of the two packages you're talking about. Have you
seen Festival or Viavoice work?

I spent a couple of hours last night searching google & google groups for
info on getting Festival working with emacspeak. I didn't really find
anything helpful and the few pages I did find tended to indicate there's a
piece missing. Apparently some intermediate piece you need between
emacspeak & Festival hasn't been developed yet. But most of what I found
was so vague I couldn't really tell.

I certainly did not find anything where someone said straight out that they
use a linux machine with emacspeak & Festival.

My problem is that I need a laptop and I can't figure out how I'm going to
get speech working. It seems to me that dragging along an external synth
would defeat the purpose.