re; job prob

Yes, the final answer will be to upgrade,
but I still wonder why telnet can suspend but nothing else.

When I say telnet suspends, I don't mean just to the ttrtelnet prompt.
It will suspend all the way back to the bash prompt, and I can bring it
back with the fg command.
But when I try to suspend any other jobs, bash says
"cannot suspend on a shell without job control."

I am thinking that the telnet program invokes a subshell with
some switches or variables or something that lest it suspend.
Is there a switch or flag or option or variable that allows job control?

The susp character is set to control z according to stty -a.