From: blinux-list-admin@redhat.com
[mailto:blinux-list-admin@redhat.com]On Behalf Of Mario Lang
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 8:19 AM
To: blinux-list@redhat.com
Subject: Re: talking linux palm?

"Joel Zimba" <jzimba@erols.com> writes:

> there are keyboards  which snap onto the ipaq btw.
Uhm, that sounds quite nice.  Do you have any link or product name?

Remaining problem is that we then pay for a screen we dont need.

That makes for additional size/weight too.

At least, we d need a reliable way of disabling the screen
completely, as it uses battery.

> I don't remember if they act as a sleeve, or require the sleeve, but it
> seems like the one I read about had added battery life
> as well as adding pcmcia or cf flash (as in another slot and maybe
bluetooth
> or 802.11
CF + pcmcia is quite essential I think.

> I'm still not sure the keyboard is necessary.  when I can start hacking
with
> one... which has been put on hold for a while...
> I don't think the scheme I've thought of for entering characters with the
> finger or stylus would be that hard to implement...
> especially if you mark 8 or 9 places on the screen...  actually making the
> 12 dots of a phone pad would work nicely as well, so numbers could be
> faster.
Interesting idea, but I wouldnt like to use that I think.
I prefer keyboards, no matter how small they are. I once typed a little
bit with the NOkia communicator which has a really small
keyboard. ANd it worked out quite well. You cant use
touch-typing of course, but with a little practice you end up
being quite fast.

Still, a device with mini-keyboard, without screen at all would be my
perfect
system.

--
CYa,